FSSAI Registration Process In India
FSSAI Registration Process In India – In India, the food industry is a rapidly growing sector that presents a promising opportunity to enter. It has been projected that the food market in India will exceed 20 crores by 2024, based on the analysis. However, it is crucial to note that before commencing any food-related venture, including manufacturing, obtaining an FSSAI license is mandatory. If you are unfamiliar with FSSAI, don’t worry. This article will provide you with a comprehensive guide on the FSSAI registration process in India.
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is a sanctioned and independent entity responsible for granting food licenses to food-related businesses in India. According to Section 31(1) of the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, all food business operators in India must acquire a license from the Food Safety & Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
The Food Safety & Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Business) Regulations, 2011, oversees the guidelines and protocols for obtaining FSSAI licenses and registrations. Any food-related enterprise in India involved in the production, storage, transportation, or distribution of food products must possess a license or registration from the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. Depending on the company’s scope and operations, FSSAI registration or license may be mandatory.
Types Of FSSAI Registration In India
The classification of FSSAI registration is divided into three categories, which are determined by the nature and size of the food business. These categories are as follows:
- Basic Registration: This category is intended for small-scale food businesses that generate an annual turnover of up to Rs. 12 lakhs. Basic registration is also suitable for home-based food businesses and start-ups. The validity of this registration ranges from 1 to 5 years.
- State License: This category applies to medium-sized food businesses with an annual turnover exceeding Rs. 12 lakhs but not exceeding Rs. 20 crores. The State Government issues this license, and it remains valid for 1 to 5 years.
- Central License: This category is intended for large-scale food businesses with an annual turnover exceeding Rs. 20 crores. The Central Government issues this license, and it remains valid for 1 to 5 years. FBOs that engage in food item imports and exports must also possess a central license.
The FSSAI registration type required by a food business is determined by its annual turnover, the nature of the business, and the location. Obtaining FSSAI registration is a prerequisite for all FBOs before they commence any food business operations.
Documents Required For Completing The FSSAI Registration Process In India
- Completed and signed the application form
- Passport size photographs
- The food business operator’s identity documentation
- Proof of property ownership
- Address proof
- Business address proof
- Agreement of rent (if the property is rented)
- Food safety management system plan
- A list of the food products to be consumed
- incorporation Certificate (in the case of a company)
- List of all machinery
- Water test report
- NOC by the local municipal corporation
- Import/export code
- Memorandum of Association and Articles of Association of the business (in case of a company)
- Partners/Director’s list (in the case of a company/ partnership firm)
- Menu all food categories.
Complete Process Of FSSAI Registration India
- Determine the Type of Registration: The first step is to determine the type of FSSAI registration required for your food business. The three types of registrations are Basic Registration, State License, and Central License. The type of registration required depends on the size and scale of the business.
- Gather Required Documents: Once you have determined the type of registration required, the next step is to gather the required documents. Depending on the kind of registration, separate papers are needed for FSSAI registration. However, some common documents required for all types of registration include proof of identity, proof of address, and a list of food products to be manufactured or sold.
- Submit Application: Once you have gathered all the required documents, you can submit your FSSAI registration application. The application can be submitted online through the FSSAI website or offline at the nearest FSSAI office.
- Application Review: After submission, the FSSAI will review the application and may ask for additional information or documents if required. The evaluation procedure may take up to 60 days.
- Inspection: Once the application is approved, the FSSAI will inspect the food business premises to ensure that it complies with the FSSAI regulations. The inspection may be conducted by a designated officer or an empaneled food safety auditor.
- Registration Certificate: If the inspection is successful, the FSSAI will issue a registration certificate. The registration certificate contains the FSSAI registration number, the name and address of the food business operator, and the validity period of the registration.
- Renewal: FSSAI registration is valid for a period of one to five years, depending on the type of registration. After the validity period, the registration must be renewed to continue the food business operations.
Cost For FSSAI Registration In India
- Basic FSSAI Registration: The cost of basic FSSAI registration is Rs. 100 per year, which means that for a five-year registration, the cost would be Rs. 500.
- State FSSAI License: The cost of a state FSSAI license depends on the annual turnover of the food business. The registration fee for companies with yearly sales of up to Rs. 12 lakhs is Rs. 2,000. The fee of registration is Rs. 5,000 per year for companies having a revenue of more than Rs. 12 billion but less than Rs. 20 crores.
- Central FSSAI License: The cost of a central FSSAI license is also based on the annual turnover of the food business. The yearly registration fee for companies with revenues more than 20 crores is Rs. 7,500 + GST.
It is important to note that these costs are subject to change and may vary depending on the state and location of the food business. Additionally, there may be additional charges for inspection and other services provided by the FSSAI.
In conclusion, FSSAI registration is an important requirement for anyone looking to start a food-related business in India. By complying with the FSSAI regulations and obtaining a registration certificate, food businesses can gain the trust of consumers, enhance their credibility, and avoid any legal and financial penalties.
Legal Hub India has been delivering its expertise and most efficient counselling under the FSSAI registration process in India. If you are looking for a hassle-free FSSAI registration, we are all set to get you the best solutions.
Name: Legal Hub India
Address: # 1782, M.L.A. Road, Rajpura (Punjab) – 140401
Phone: +91 96460-01340